First of all, it is essential to understand what disk is defragmentation, and based on processes that speed up access to or read specific files. This is because all the small parts that make up the file are closer to each other. Therefore, this is an integral part of regular hard drive maintenance because it can help you optimize your computer’s functioning when documents are slow to load or when entering a similar situation. Defragmenting improves the storage devices in the meantime and makes readings more efficient.
You can also free up space on your order to increase space that can use on the network. But it depends on how the file is written on this CD. However, the length of time for this process is unknown because it depends on the hardware and processor used. In this way, defragmentation only takes 90 minutes or less when using high-quality programs. To get the results as soon as possible, you need to know the best plan for your Windows hard drive, which we will introduce below. So, What is the best free defrag program? Why is Windows Defragmenter important? And Can defrag cause problems? Read the complete article to get these answers.
Best Defrag Programs/Softwares
Defragmenting the hard drive is an essential part of the routine maintenance of this type of storage device used by most users. In simple terms, defragmenting a hard drive means a process that speeds up access to or reading specific files, because all the small parts that make up the files side by side. Defragmentation, therefore, significantly increases the performance of your system and makes learning more efficient. We list down the best Defrag programs that you use as free or paid on your PC.
Disk Speedup – Fastest Defragmenter
Disk Speedup is one of the most recommended defragmentation tools, a completely free and super-fast program that defragment our hard drive and optimize our hard drive for higher performance. Besides, this process can be completed with just a few clicks, so it turns out to be fast and has an alternative that allows you to manage fragmented files one by one. It is safe software that checks whether new data is spelled correctly or not before old data is overwritten. Some features can be used to stop and stop the defragmentation process at any time to avoid data loss. Finally, you can safely determine your hard drive’s status by accessing information stored there and paying attention to signs of wear.
- Many defragmentation configurations
- Defragmentation mode outside working hours
- Files can exclude from the process
- Defragmentation can be done simultaneously at the beginning of the operating system
- You cannot defragment removable media
- It cannot be integrated into Windows Explorer to make it easier to defrag files and folders
- Other programs might try installing on your computer during the entire Disk Speedup installation process
O & O Defrag – Best Disk Defrag
O & O Defrag is a great solution to defragmenting the hard drive on your computer because it is easily controlled. Thanks to all the configurations and processes sent by the same program. It can also look for serious errors for a few minutes and increase the speed of your computer reading files. Additionally, you can use O&O Defrag to determine the exact time at which the defragmentation process must carry out if you want, i.e., you can specify a specific date and time for execution. What seems very practical is when other important processes, such as backup, are also planned.
- It can be programmed to run when the screen saver is displayed
- Programmable defragmentation support
- Scheduled defragmentation can be configured not to start if fragmentation is very low
- More massive system restore points can be moved to slower areas of the hard drive to improve system performance
- Produces very detailed disk reports
- Does not work on Windows 10 and Windows 8 properly
- Some functions cannot be used free of charge
- Do not allow files to be excluded from the defragmentation process
- Do not defragment a removable hard drive
- It does not have a defragmentation function during system startup
The Defraggler program uses the same technique as Windows to read and write files to never damage your computer. This tool is also accelerated by correcting fragmented documents and managing them more efficiently. As if that wasn’t enough, Defraggler promises to free up more space on your computer’s hard drive and prevent fragmentation before this happens. On the other hand, standard configurations are displayed in your user interface, which you don’t need to change thanks to hardware efficiency. However, if you prefer to monitor and control fragmented folders, disks, and files yourself, you will get full customization that is truly flexible.
- Automatic defragmentation only when programming
- Option to defragment the hard drive during reboot
- Defragment specific files and folders
- Accurate data can be excluded from the process
- Can be run directly from Explorer
- This is somewhat confusing because of the variety of additional options
- The defragmentation function is not supported during the sorting period which is inactive
Smart Defrag – Best free Defrag
It is a free version that is compatible with all versions of Windows and contains a very effective defragmentation technology that allows you to optimize access speed to the fullest. Smart Defrag intelligently defragments the hard drive using a file-based file system in terms of how it works. It provides an alternative to defragment native Windows applications, has defragmenter actions, and free up space on the device before the process to significantly improve system performance.
- Automatic programmable defragmentation
- Most of the files used can move to the faster part of the hard drive
- Portable version available
- Hundreds of defragmentation options
- Exceptions to individual documents in the process
- Some functions are only available in the paid version
- We can’t defrag when our computer is down
- The software can try to install other programs during the installation
Puran Defrag – Best Defrag for Windows 10
Puran Defrag is a free Windows 64-bit built-in solution that can help you improve your system in simple steps by defragmenting your hard drive very easily. Because you can just put the file together and move it according to the frequency of use. Doing so can increase your computer’s overall speed and reduce wear on your hard drive, thereby extending its life. Puran Defrag offers simple line support, graphics, and commands, among others. Puran Defrag offers automatic defragmentation options, deleting temporary files in the system and allowing tasks such as restarting or shutting down the computer after fragmentation.
- Defragmentation mode during the period of inactivity
- Ability to move files to the hard drive sector faster
- Support for scheduled defragmentation
- Includes the option to start defragmentation when the system boots
- The defragmentation process can begin at the file and folder level
- You can check errors on the hard drive
- Not all fragmented files are displayed (only the first 10)
- There is no portable version
- Other programs might try to install
- The results after scanning the hard drive are hard to read
- The defragmentation of free space cannot be started manually (very floppy disk)
- There are no updates for the 2016 program
Auslogics – Disk Defrag
This ideal Windows software is considered a defragmentation tool with beneficial functions. First of all, this action must be done for a short time, and then the hard disk data on your computer is more compact and easily accessible.
In addition, the program shows many configuration alternatives, offers a portable version, displays a completely intuitive and user-friendly interface, expands the file system and supports programming the task of defragmentation whenever you want. Free space is also consolidated, the device is effectively checked for errors and corrected immediately.
- One or more hard drives can be defragmented on the computer during periods of inactivity
- Allow planned defragmentation
- You can defrag a file that is locked at startup
- Many useful tools
- All these additional tools may not be needed
- Additional programs will appear installed on your computer
- This program hasn’t been updated for a long time
- Official support for Windows 7 and earlier operating system versions
MyDefrag refers to a free defragmenter that can schedule defragmentation tasks that need to be done. Easy to use, has many scripts for each task, and is available in 32-bit and 64-bit versions. For its part, MyDefrag works without discomfort for its main purpose – MyDefrag not only optimizes your computer’s hard drive and not only speeds it up but can also delay the drive’s life, causing much less wear after defragmentation.
- It contains many advanced options
- Works immediately and without having to configure anything
- Simple and intuitive user interface
- Possibility to defragment mobile and internal devices
- A little more complicated than a similar program.
- Cannot run in Windows Explorer-like other defragmentation tools.
- Last updated in 2010
Why is Windows Defragmenter Important?
Defragmentation is a process that is run on a hard drive to improve performance and recover space. Defragmentation is an integral part of maintaining your computer and organizing and sorting data on your hard drive to be read easily. If this simple task is not carried out from time to time, your computer will slow down over time, and you will experience problems in processing new data. The whole system is, therefore, affected.
With this ends, our article on the best applications to defragment a hard drive, you can comment on your experience with one of these tools. You can also make suggestions about other devices you’ve tried. However, as we said, the free version is efficient and has a portable version, so it is a good option if you are still using an old Windows, or you want to defragment several computers from a Pendrive.